The intersection of Wayzata Boulevard and Central Avenue can get pretty busy. During rush hour, lines of cars form in all directions. At the Colonial Square Shopping Center, cars buzz around a busy parking lot.
It wasn’t always that way, at least not when intersection was more commonly referred to as Batson’s Corner.
The area was named for the Batson family: parents Sam and Jeraldine and children Tom and Cynthia, who moved from Minneapolis to the village of Wayzata in 1911. The Batsons purchased a five-acre parcel of land where Heritage Park and the Boardwalk Senior Apartments are today. The property sat along the one-lane dirt road Superior Boulevard, known today as Wayzata Boulevard.
Read the full story: Sun Sailor | Revisiting Batson’s Corner in Wayzata