The Christmas Day church service – a celebratory pastime for many congregations – had particular importance this year for St. Bartholomew Catholic Church. The gathering in Wayzata marked the official 100-year anniversary of the church’s first Mass.
The church, located across from Wayzata City Hall on Rice Street, was constructed in 1916 after 12 families rallied around the idea. With the nearest Catholic churches located in Medina, Hopkins and across the lake in Excelsior, Wayzata residents were looking for a place to worship within their community.
According to the church, the founding families approached the archbishop with their plan, who in turn contacted the abbot at Saint John’s University and requested that the Benedictines staff the new church.
On Christmas Day 1916, the first Mass was in the 60-seat, white stucco church. Father George Bartholomew Scheffold, who also helped found Long Lake’s Church of St. George the same year, presided over the service.
Continue reading: Rejoice! St. Bart’s celebrates 100 years in Wayzata